[ RadSafe ] Re:U-238 spontaneous fission

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Wed Jun 18 11:24:52 CDT 2008

Sorry, in my haste, I left the tittle intact, with no intention to equate
spontaneous fission with any sort of effect whatsoever.  We treat the few
neutrons present as being only a scientific curiosity and a nucleonic
metrology measurement challenge.

Personally I remain neutral concerning *low dose* radiation as being either
helpful or harmful, as there seems to be no overwhelmingly clear correlation
either way.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I grew up playing in lead mine tailing piles as if they
were sand piles, lived around and
worked chemical plants all my life, and  no doubt received more than my fair
share of neurton irradiation, and certainly gamma radiation over a
long period of time with no ill effects.

ALARA makes sense, and most professionals follow it with caution but not
paranoia.

George Dowell
NLNL
New London Nucleonics Lab