[ RadSafe ] Dose basis for 5Ci/y discharge ?

Keith Welch welch at jlab.org
Thu Jun 19 12:38:16 CDT 2008

Hi Radsafers,

Does anyone out there know if there are models or studies that were used
as the basis for the total sanitary sewerage discharge limits in
10CFR20?  I know the specifics of potential dose would be as varied as
there are possible emission sources or receptors.  But I haven't been
able to find anything justifying the 5 Ci tritium limit (other than, it
just seems to be a conservative number that is unlikely to affect public
dose much).

Thanks for any advice.
Keith Welch
Jefferson Lab