[ RadSafe ] ALARA

WILLIAM LIPTON wlipton at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 20 12:39:07 CDT 2008

Sandy,
It was great working with you.  Now that I'm retired, I still enjoy your postings.
I generally agree with your statement, and want to add to it.
For me, there is a significant distinction between occupational and public doses, since the benefits are different.  Those who receive occupational exposure generally also receive the benefit of a well paying, safe job.  For the general public, however, the direct  benefits are harder to find, and, hence, we must be concerned with even small radiation doses..
We also have an obligation to demonstrate proper stewardship of the technology.  Any loss of control is a concern, even when the resulting public doses are low, for two reasons:
1.  Even when the resulting doses are low, they were avoidable.
2.  Major incidents are often preceded by smaller, precursor incidents, where there were missed opportunities to correct the process.  Thus, even an incident with minor consequences must be taken seriously.  Failure to do this is the equivalent of saying that you shouldn't get a citation for running a red light since there was no accident.
Bill Lipton
It's not about dose, it's about trust.