[ RadSafe ] ALARA

garyi at trinityphysics.com garyi at trinityphysics.com
Mon Jun 23 12:01:55 CDT 2008

Al,

Yes, Alara is the political reality that we now live with.  Yet your one valuable use of Alara . . .
is that it meets Alara.

Or else it is that it keeps politicians happy . . . since we have told them there is no safe dose.

Both of these are just the dog biting his own tail and wondering why it hurts back there.

Most debates will become emotional, and emotions often subvert reason without reason ever
knowing that it has been subverted.

I have been called a hypocrite and invited to leave the profession.  I suppose that if I
preached Alara as a wise and correct "dose reduction tool", then I would in fact be a
hypocrite, since I do not believe it to be either wise or correct.  However, I always tell people
that Alara is a regulatory requirement which they can not ignore.  And I tell them I think it is
stupid.  There are hypocrites in every field, but they are generally not the people who are
speaking up for changes that they sincerely believe to be beneficial.  Therefore, the use of
the H word is either uncalled for or just backwards.

Alara is stupid.  Why?  Because it is inconsistent, vague, unnecessary, and subject at every
level to the whim and disposition of an individual.   Ultimately its enforcement depends on a
regulator, who may be replaced at any time by some person from California, God help us.  I
have heard that there are sane and rational people in California, but they never seem to
make it to politics or television.

I'll repeat myself:  Do we get anything from ALARA that we could
not have just by writing clear regs?

-Gary Isenhower