[ RadSafe ] ALARA

NeilKeeney at aol.com NeilKeeney at aol.com
Mon Jun 23 18:26:03 CDT 2008

Gary or Joe et al:

In direct response to your question, we unquestionably 'get  something' from
ALARA.  I've primarily been associated with planning and  implementation of
major projects at commercial nuclear facilities around the  country for the last
couple of decades.  My observations and  conclusions closely align with what
Dr. Lipton has indicated.

To take it a couple of steps further, the depth and degree of  planning and
preparation necessary to achieve some of the key objectives of  ALARA, which,
in the aggregate result in reduced collective dose may be  summarized in a few
points:
1.    There is generally less rework  necessary to be performed across our
major project tasks because:

a.    We have workable plans that  were compelled to be developed in detail
in part as the result of ALARA  considerations.  Some of these go so far as to
specify the exact tools,  parts and pieces necessary to perform the work.  In
some cases they call  for backup equipment or components.  These variables are
based on the  lessons-learned for the activity.  I have often observed, in
the 'old'  days, a work group exiting the work areas because they had the wrong
bolt,  forgot a wrench, the tool broke, the wrong gasket; on and on.  That
doesn't  happen anymore at a facility with a good ALARA program.  It simply
results in greater efficiency all around which, in turn, optimizes the activity
in terms of collective dose expenditure.

b.    We have superior scheduling that  takes into consideration work
sequences that result in avoiding unnecessary  exposure.  For example, if it were not
for the ALARA concept, there would  be nothing preventing any particular
project management team from draining  the Steam Generator shell of secondary
water (shielding) thus  exposing the workforce to 30,000 manhours of increased
dose-rates on  the order of 2 - 3 times that of a filled shell.  An extreme
example  but I've seen the results of premature drain-down.

c.    Via this concept, we have been able  to reconcile internal and external
exposure via TEDE ALARA precepts.  This  took thousands of people out of
respirators and also greatly increased worker  efficiency and, therefore improved
production making us more reliable as an  industry.  This also compelled
advances in the use and utility of  engineering controls for ventilation and
Containment At The Source concepts for  contamination control.

2.    Enhanced proficiency in performing  difficult or complex tasks -
previously discussed.  There's nothing  like achieving greater reality on the scope
and magnitude of one's part in a  complex task.  It's a drill of the technique
and methodology and is  consistent with other such practices across our
society.  This is how a  process is debugged prior to actual execution and it's a
valuable element of  reducing or avoiding dose.

I have observed the improvements across our industry  first-hand.  Work
implementation used to be carried out in a cavalier  fashion without respect to
collective dose.  Rework was routine.   Schedules ignored shielding installation,
work group interferences with one  another, or water level management
techniques (in PWRs).  Workers were  worked until they maxed-out on dose and then you
got another guy and did the  same with him.  It was pretty ugly.

Well.  These are a few viewpoints about the matter.   There are many more but
I've been accused in the past of being too verbose so I  will leave it at
this for now.

Neil Keeney
NRRPT
Currently at CR3 SGRP

In a message dated 6/23/2008 6:43:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight  Time,