[ RadSafe ] ALARA

garyi at trinityphysics.com garyi at trinityphysics.com
Mon Jun 23 19:22:04 CDT 2008

Well, its hard to argue with a neatly ordered outline.  I suppose I must be wrong.  I ran into a
similar situation in regard to my finances a few years back.  I told my wife many times that the
best way to get out of debt was to pay off the highest interest credit card first.  We didn't
seem to get anwhere until she began listening to a guy who said to pay off the smallest debt
first.  He called it a "debt snowball".

Any accountant can tell you that I was right.  But we still made more headway going
backwards because it just felt better to my wife to picture a giant snowball wiping out our
debt.

I suppose there could be some kind of emotional gratification contained in the ALARA
concept, or maybe in the sound of the acronym itself.  If you treat your patients with snake oil
and they get better, then there must be something to it.

Good night!
Gary Isenhower