[ RadSafe ] Transport/Courier Exemptions for Small Uranium Sources

WILLIAM LIPTON wlipton at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 24 09:12:13 CDT 2008

The IATA, "Dangerous Goods Regulations" and 49 CFR 173 both list exempt quantities and exempt concentrations on a radionuclide specific basis.  Material which does not exceed both limits is considered nonradioactive for purposes of transportation.  However, if this is licensed radioactive material, you must still meet the conditions of your license regarding transfer of the material.
Bill Lipton
It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Perception is reality.

----- Original Message ----
From: Leo M. Lowe <llowe at senes.ca>
To: radsafe at radlab.nl
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:01:27 AM
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Transport/Courier Exemptions for Small Uranium Sources


If someone wanted to courier or carry around during travel (including 
by air) small demonstration sources of yellowcake (e.g. 100 g ??) or 
of uranium ore ( 1 kg ??), what are the IAEA or national transport 
reg limitations on these sources that might exempt or alternatively 
prohibit this?  A regulation cite would be appreciated..  I am 
interested in travel within a country (e.g. the U.S. or Canada) but, 
additionally,  what are the extra trans-border transport limitations?

Since I get Radsafe by digest mode, feel free to respond directly to me.

Leo M. Lowe, Ph.D., P.Phys.

You are currently subscribed to the RadSafe mailing list

Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have read and understood the RadSafe rules. These can be found at: http://radlab.nl/radsafe/radsaferules.html

For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe and other settings visit: http://radlab.nl/radsafe/

More information about the RadSafe mailing list