[ RadSafe ] ALARA, BRC ,& regulatoty self-interest

WILLIAM LIPTON wlipton at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 24 15:10:00 CDT 2008

I am truly grateful that I have not become so cynical.  You might as well say that physicians promote illness or police officers promote crime, since it provides a good living.
The NRC has long tried to establish BRC policies, but, for reasons that will not change in the near future, this has not been possible.  A few years ago, I attended a public meeting on clearance of potentially clean materials and equipment form restricted areas.  This was an attempt to establish a risk based system for setting acceptable contamination levels for free release.  The public fears expressed at that meeting may not be valid, but they were genuine.  We're getting the best deal possible from the regulators.  In any event, self regulation, through peer groups such as INPO, is much stricter than regulatory requirements.
We have to learn to thrive within these constraints, instead of continually ranting about "unfairness."
Bill Lipton
It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Perception is reality.