[ RadSafe ] chemical form of industrial irradiation sources

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Mon Jun 30 12:17:07 CDT 2008

Hi Peter,

I have now been again for 3.5 months in Poland and will stay another two months after a four day visit to Vienna right now.
I am very far from being an expert in radiation sources but I use to state that one needs not know everything oneself, but one should know whom to ask and where to find the answers....
You are right, that the Cs-137 in the Goiana accident was soluble CsCl. There are extensive reports to be found by Jose Rozenthal. For Co-60 and Ir-192 it is evident that the metallic state is used for irradiation and neutron activation. However the irradiation sources are
a l w a y s  encapsulated to make them "umschlossene radioaktive Stoffe" ("encapsulated radioactive material"). There exist international and also Austrian Standards for periodic testing of tightness of the cladding. For the Austrian Standard you may contact the Normeninstitut in Vienna.
The real expert person in Austria would be Gerhard Stolba from Seibersdorf, who was also the leader of the above mentioned working group on the Austrian standard where I have participated. gerhard.stolba at arcs.ac.at. In case you contact him please give him my very best regards.

Ich wünsche Dir einen schönen Sommer und daß es Dir am JRC genauso gut gefällt wie mir noch immer in Katowice!

Franz