[ RadSafe ] Efficient scanning for Radiation in US Ports??

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Mon Jun 30 12:37:06 CDT 2008

I have the history channel (cable TV) on at the moment, as they just showed
a pretty good program on the development of atomic/nuclear weapons
(confirming the comments of today regarding what was tested and why!).

The next program was on "WMD" which I just left on to see what they said...

After talking about conventional nuclear weapons they mentioned "dirty
bombs" and the need to control the movement of radioactive materials across
the border, and during  which they showed the process of scanning containers
in ports. The 3-level process is x-ray scanning of containers, then  a
portal radiation monitor. If any radiation is detected, it goes to a manual
scan with a Hand-held spectroscopic GR.

They then showed the process of checking a container with a hand held meter
that had showed a hot spot on the portal scan.

The hot spot was identified by the HH meter and the officer stated "No
problem. It is just industrial Cesium 137. This is a natural radioactive
substance we detect all the time in such things as granite counter tops..'

Made me feel real confident...

;~)

Doug

Doug Aitken     Cell phone: 713-562-8585

QHSE Advisor

D&M Operations Support

Schlumberger Technology Corporation

300 Schlumberger Drive

Sugar Land TX 77030

Home office: 713-797-0919  Home Fax: 713-797-1757