[ RadSafe ] Luggage/package X-ray Screening SafetyStandard (UNCLASSIFIED)

Gary Isenhower gisenhower at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 16:20:07 CDT 2008

That is pretty funny.  It also shows that a clever idiot is a match for
almost any amount of design safeguards.  Perhaps that is a clue to how the
reg is written and enforced - it precludes only accidental irradiation.
Otherwise they would have to phrase it something like, "Registrants shall
not hire operators who might get bored and deliberately irradiated
themselves."

I would guess that deliberately exposing yourself or someone else is a
violation of a different regulation, perhaps under a different agency, but
there's a limit to how far such regs can go.  There's not much point in
making regs like:

  You shall not hit your head with a hammer.
  You shall not jump off tall buildings.
  You shall not drink bleach.

Some things are self-correcting.

-Gary Isenhower