[ RadSafe ] Scientists discover possible radiation and heartdisease link

Philippe J. Duport pduport at uottawa.ca
Mon Mar 10 13:01:25 CDT 2008

John,

The Darby's paper you mention shows a positive association between
radiation exposure and cardiovascular disease.  However, the link is
tenuous: the odds ratio for all years of follow-up is 1.04 (confidence
interval 1.00 - 1.08).

Conversely, a study comparing French nuclear to non-nuclear workers
shows an odds ratio = 0.88 (0.76 - 1.02) for cardiovascular diseases.
(Gros et al. Occup Med 52(1): 35-44, 2002) - Note this is an internal
study: all workers belong to the same company, no so-called healthy
worker effect).

An internal study of French electricity nuclear workers shows a SMR of
0.50 (0.40 - 0.62) for cardiovascular diseases (comparison to the
general population). The same study a strong influence of the
socio-economic status (SES)on cardiovascular (SMR = 0.35 in the high SES
group, SMR = 0.91 (3 times more) in the low SES group). (Rogel et al. Am
J Indust Medicine Vol 47:72-42, 2005)

Also, thoracic doses are relatively high in breast cancer radiotherapy
(breast dose can exceed 30 Gy - Preston et al, Radiation Research
158:220-235, 2002.  Extrapolating the risk of cardiovascular disease
from high to low doses and dose rates might imply undue confidence in
dose-effect linearity...

The risk increase in Darby's paper is small compared to the risk
reduction in nuclear workers.  Before accepting the small increase in
Darby's paper, one should also be certain that SES factors, which have a
strong impact on cardiovascular risk, have been duly taken into account.

Philippe Duport
Institute of the Environment
University of Ottawa