[ RadSafe ] Re: uranium smoke is a teratogen

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Thu May 8 15:49:02 CDT 2008

Hi Mike:

I'm a little confused by your statement; Please correct me if I am wrong.

I recall that several countries have in the past been interested in the
economic recovery of uranium from uraniferous lignites (e.g. Wyoming Basins
- Great Divide Basin; Greece, etc.) because of the tendency of uranium to
remain in the ash. These resources tend to average about 100 mg/kg or 0.01%
U. The proposed recovery methods focused on combusting the material on a
fluidized bed, gasifying, and then burning the gas.  The uranium then tends
not to form a relatively unleachable ceramic, but can be easily leached from
the bottom/top ash.  In essence, the bulk of the uranium concentrates in the
ash.  This was the rage in the late 70s and early 80s in the consideration
of these special resources.

Since I have not seen the paper that you mention, I'm uncertain of its
veracity. If it assumes that all of the uranium contained in coal is
dispersed through the stack to fit someone's very simplified "mass balance"
concepts, this is patently wrong. The fluidized-bed technology was proposed
in order to take advantage of the fact that uranium concentrated in ash, to
get away from the ceramics formed at higher temperatures and to be able to
utilize high-uranium lignites.

There were several papers about this in the early 80s through the IAEA
including Symposium Proceedings, TECDOCs, and as I recall, Technical
Cooperation missions from the IAEA to pursue this technology.

This is my recollection of one little "corner" of possible uranium recovery
strategies.

Other Sources: (These are back of the envelope calculations)

But there are other sources of anthropogenic uranyl ion in the environment.
As a rough estimate, for instance, the San Luis Valley, Colorado uses about
1 million acre feet of water for crop irrigation. By my estimate, 1,273.8 x
10^6 m^3 H2O, or 1.3 x 10^12 liters based on consumptive water use +
irrigation efficiency + off season irrigation (McCarn, 2004, IAEA TECDOC
1396, p. 303,
http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_1396_web.pdf).  The U
concentration ranges from <1 to over 100 ug/L with an average of perhaps
5-10 ug/L.  This amounts to a total of 7.5 Tonnes U / annum being
remobilized via irrigation.  Perhaps 10%, 0.75 Tonnes is immediately "lost"
to evaporation of droplets forming dispersed dusts downwind of the
irrigation.  If this accounts for 1% of the central-pivot, spray-irrigated
farming in the USA, then about 75 Tonnes of airborne uranium per annum are
being generated only by irrigation.

As a side note, that also amounts to 2-3 KCi / year 222Rn redistribution for
the San Luis Valley, Colorado (Kilo Curies).

The Central Valley in California has many water use / quality similarities
of the San Luis Valley in Colorado including zones in which uranium is
concentrated and remobilized via high-volume pumping of the aquifer.  I
suspect that most of the intermontaine basins in the mountain west have
similar characteristics.  The old high-plains Ogallala aquifer, almost
depleted now from Texas to the Dakotas, contained significant uranium as
well.

Another source are fertilizers (phosphate ores contain about 125 mg/kg U or
0.125% U) which is contained in the product. About 5,000,000 Tonnes of
phosphate are used every year (USDA
http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/FertilizerUse/).  That amounts to over 600
Tonnes of uranium being distributed on crops every year.  Some, perhaps 10%,
will be redistributed as dusts, adding another 60 Tonnes U per year to
airborne uranyl.

So for agriculture in the USA, I would "guess" that there are on the order
of 700 Tonnes U per year placed on agricultural soils and of that, 100
Tonnes U per year redistributed as dusts. Now "apply" the years of
agricultural use for the soils (e.g. 99 years - median - for the San Luis
Valley), a source term, a "Leaching Coefficient" to calculate the U
concentration in the upper soil zone, and transfer coefficients into plants,
etc. and now uranyl becomes an issue in the food chain.

So coal isn't the only "culprit".

Dan ii

P.S. And Mike, by my calculations based on Iran's import of Moroccan
phosphate ore, they can produce about 50-75 Tonnes U / year just from this
single source (90% recovery, DEPA-TOPO Solvent Extraction method,
wet-process phosphoric acid).

Dan W. McCarn, Geologist; 3118 Pebble Lake Drive; Sugar Land, TX 77479; USA;
Home: +1-281-903-7667
mccarn at unileoben.ac.at           HotGreenChile at gmail.com
UConcentrate at gmail.com