[ RadSafe ] The DU Myth and the European Parliament

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Tue May 27 21:14:36 CDT 2008

May 27

         Steven Dapra's comments interspersed.

At 07:04 AM 5/27/08 -0700, James Salsman wrote:
>Roger,
>
>Thank you for your assertion:
>
> >... members of Parliament have bought completely into the myth....
>
>On the contrary, there are far more dangerous myths about depleted
>uranium issuing from your keyboard than from the European Parlament.

SD's comment:

         James you wouldn't recognize a myth if it jumped out of a tree and
landed on you.  You are the one peddling myths, and it's a pity you don't
know it.>>>>>

>MYTH:  Uranium smoke inhalation does not lead to increases in birth defects.
>
>FACT:  This is proven among all on this list but those who have shown
>that they have incorrect understanding of uranyl genotoxicity and are
>not willing to spend $31.50 to update their understanding from the
>most recent reviews in the peer-reviewed literature.

SD's comments:

         What makes you think you have the *correct* understanding of
uranyl genotoxicity?  Do you have any academic or scholarly credentials
other than your ability to read (only) abstracts, and then mis-construe
them?  Or your ability to quote out of context and fabricate sentences as
you did on RADSAFE in March, 2006?  You have twisted or distorted or
incorrectly used everything you've ever quoted here.  Why should I spend
$31.50 to read a seven page paper that you have undoubtedly twisted to suit
your purposes?  Plus, over the weekend I posted a message here about
Domingo's abstract that you hold in such high regard.  I also discussed the
abstract and the full text of two papers co-authored by Domingo.  Have you
read them, or my message?  Furthermore, the paper co-authored by Domingo is
*two years* more recent than that one you persist in waving around as
though it were the last word in the epidemiology of DU smoke.  Now who's
not reading the most recent reviews in the peer-reviewed literature?>>>>>

>MYTH:  There was no increase in the incidence of birth defects among
>those potentially exposed to uranium smoke and effluents from the
>300,000+ Kg of uranium which has been used in Iraq and Bosnia.
>
>FACT:  There were huge increases in birth defects among combat troops
>of the February, 1991 Gulf War, including U.S. troops (220% increase
>in females, according to Dr. Han Kang of the Veterans Administration),
>U.K. troops, the people of Basra, which drew its drinking water from
>streams contaminated by smoke condensate rain water runoff effluents,
>and Kuwaitis, who are all also seeing an increase in immunological
>problems.

SD's comments:

         Can't you think of an authority other than Han Kang?  In April
2007 we fought out your 220% increase here and you never did explain the