AW: [ RadSafe ] Benefit/Harm from U.S. Army in Afghanistan

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sun Nov 2 12:30:15 CST 2008

RADSAFERs,

I try to comment on Howard Longs political excursion from a context
including radioactivity and nuclear topics - they are involved indeed and I
hope that Marcel accepts this opinion.

Reading Howard Longs bla-bla about "liberation, freedom, democracy, net gain
for the US, "prosperity" (for whom?)" is annoying and only shows that he has
not the slightest clue about the situation of states, their infrastructure,
the living conditions of their inhabitants, diseases, poverty, risk for life
etc. Etc. Howard Long is a typical species called "The Ugly American", a
term created to my knowledge by Graham Greene in one of his books, where he
gives an excellent characterisation of this type of American set against the
background of the French war in Indochina. Needless to say that I have
during my many visits in the USA not encountered any of these "ugly
americans" personally, but judging from the press and its description of US
politicians and of course Howard Long I know, that they exist. Needless to
say that people I meet are usually not of the lowest classes. But it was
amazing during my visit to my beloved South West last October, that most
people I met at the cultural and outstanding landscape sites started to
complain about the then and still present administration, without any
provocation from my side. Here on RADSAFE I read about proposals to attack
China, Iran, Cuba and North Korea. Unbelievable - shame on you!

I am not going to react on the "benefits" for the USA, but I have noticed
that a so called "radiological threat" has been used extensively by the US
administration to spread fear among US citizens and to gain support for the
most suppressive actions. All those nonsensical actions and the waste of
money for "surveillance" (which actually has another purpose!!!!), which are
obviously there only to scare people and to put them into a state of
insecurity. Only today morning in Rabat, the capital of Marocco they took
away at the airport from me a very expensive tiny scissor for nails, about
three centimeters long without handle.

The possible consequences of a "dirty bomb" have been discussed extensively
on RADSAFE and except some hardliners agreed that the damage of this would
be mostly the conventional explosive - but still we read on RADSAFE about
the terrible threat of dispersion of some radionuclides like Co-60 or
iridium.

Using this irrational fear mongering with radionuclides or nuclear material,
combined with ultra-nationalistic ideas is deeply despicable. I hope I made
myself clear Mr. Howard Long.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD