[ RadSafe ] Modular nuclear reactor

Jim Hardeman Jim.Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Thu Nov 20 15:55:50 CST 2008

Mike / Eric --

My understanding is that this reactor uses uranium hydride fuel, and that the moderation properties of uranium hydride tend to make the reactor "self controlling". That's about as much info as I could glean.

My $0.02 worth ...

Jim

>>> "Brennan, Mike  (DOH)" <Mike.Brennan at DOH.WA.GOV> 11/20/2008 14:39 >>>
So, is it producing heat by fission?  If so, how does it adjust the
neutron flux to maintain a constant power level in the face of burn-up
of fuel and build-up of neutron poison fission fragments?  How do they
deal with the great increase in activity due to the fission fragments
having much shorter half-lives than the fuel?  What is the working fluid
to remove heat from the reactor, and how is the heat turned into
electricity?

The diagrams on the website are pretty, but short on details that would
help evaluate their product.