[ RadSafe ] Modular nuclear reactor

HOWARD.LONG at comcast.net HOWARD.LONG at comcast.net
Thu Nov 20 19:39:47 CST 2008

Thank you, all.
Hyperion website and extensive blogs about it were interesting, but not specific about the self-control.
Human beings have that problem, too.

Apparently, uranium hydride slows the neutrons enough that, like deuterium in CANDU, continuing heat can be produced without monitoring for 5 years. Teller visualized a self-controlled reactor in 1993 but without the engineering detail that has apparently now been worked out.

Also, lithium coolant was mentioned for a Toshiba reactor, when the last I heard it had liquid sodium planned, (frightening to me because of its volatility chemically).

Could this progress in engineering bring political proress?

 Howard Long

From: "Jim Hardeman" <Jim.Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us>