[ RadSafe ] NPT, Reprocessing & Mining Issues

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Fri Oct 3 15:01:11 CDT 2008

At 02:27 PM 10/2/2008, Dan W McCarn wrote:
>Yes, that is my recollection as well.  I think that Carter's ban on
>reprocessing was intended to send a signal to the rest of the world
>regarding the NPT and non-proliferation, but also that the cost of a full
>nuclear fuel cycle (as apposed to once-through) did not make it an
>economically attractive possibility.
***************************************
In this age of environmentalism, we need to stop using the industrial
term, "reprocessing".

The more publicly friendly term is "recycling".

Recycling fuel somewhat solves one of the other public concerns,
"What about the waste?"

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140