[ RadSafe ] Classification of areas

Sandra Matzkin matzkin at invap.com.ar
Thu Oct 9 06:54:40 CDT 2008

OK, maybe I should try to explain this better.

Imagine a nuclear (non-power) facility, currently
under design, which has to comply with US, not
Argentinian, regulations. The plant is only a
project at this time, but will eventually have to
be licensed. I am now looking into the
classification of rooms and areas. As I have seen
on 10 CFR 20, it is a bit different from what we
use here. It is also different from what I've
seen in some European countries. As an example,
for some other regulatory bodies "controlled
areas are areas in which persons may receive an
effective dose of more than 6 millisievert or
higher organ doses than 45 millisievert for the
eye lens or 150 millisievert for the skin, the
hands, the forearms, feet and ankles in a
calendar year", among other conditions. This is a
practical distinction, and if there is such a
thing, or any other, on the US regulations then I should take it into account.

I did take the time to read the rest of 10 CFR 20
and also NUREG 1736 before posting the question.
I found nothing of the sort there, but I may have
missed it, or maybe there is something else on
other regulatory guides which I don't know. That's what I intended to ask.

Sandra