[ RadSafe ] Neutron flux from electron accelerators

alstonchris at netscape.net alstonchris at netscape.net
Thu Oct 30 16:53:01 CDT 2008

Jeff

I don't know about positrons, but the binding E for many nuclei starts around 8 MeV, so you get a photoneutron out when a photon delivers that much, or?more, E to the nucleus.? The photon could have been generated by a high-E electron slamming into a high-Z target (e.g., tungsten, as in a medical linac): et?voila, Bremsstrahlung.? Most of the photoneutrons then, I suspect, will arise in the photons' target, although one does get activation products in the electron target.

Cheers
cja