[ RadSafe ] Concerns Could Reduce Radiation Sensor Deployment

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Tue Sep 9 20:20:23 CDT 2008

Sept. 9

         Here is a link to Goldberg's biography posted at his web
site:  <http://www.jeffreygoldberg.net/about/bio/>.

         You can read about Goldberg on Wikipedia:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Goldberg>.

         Here's Alexander Cockburn of Counterpunch throwing vitriol at
Goldberg:  <http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn02282003.html>.  Anyone
here who knows about Cockburn knows he is always grinding a gigantic axe,
however his vitriolic article is worth reading.

         According to Wikipedia, Goldberg was also in the Israeli army and
worked as a guard at an Israeli army prison camp during the first
Intifada.  Goldberg cleverly omits this from the biography on his web site.
His book "Prisoners: A Muslim and a Jew Across the Middle East Divide," was
reviewed in the New York Review of Books (3-29-07; Vol. 54, No. 5).  On
page 17, the reviewer alludes to his having been a guard at the prison camp.

         If you'd like more, do a Googol search (like I did).

         Turning to his NY Times column, he bemoans the possibility of an
atomic bomb being detonated in the US, and writes, "Many proliferation
experts I have spoken to judge the chance of such a detonation to be as
high as 50 percent in the next 10 years."  Clever, huh?  "Many"
experts???  Which ones?  Got any names?  What are their qualifications?

         Goldberg ends his column by speaking of Obama and McCain, and
saying, "We can hope against hope that in the next two months, these two
men will discuss, in a deliberative and encompassing way, the best ways to
protect America from what some nonproliferation experts believe is a nearly
inevitable attack. We should, in fact, demand that this conversation take
place, because nothing else matters."  He's obsessed with the idea that a
nuke is going to be set off in the US of A.  For my money, his column
serves no constructive purpose and shows no deep thinking.

Steven Dapra

At 08:46 AM 9/9/08 -0500, Perrero, Daren wrote:
>Does any one know anything about Mr. Jeffrey Goldberg?  His OpEd appears
>in todays (sept 9, 08) New York Times.  The article's theme is that
>number one threat to the US is a fissile device being detonated within
>the US.  In fact he believes it is paramount above health care, the
>economy and just about everything else facing the country at this time.
>He states that the US should be striving to be pre-emptive to what he
>believes is an 'inevitable attack'.
>
>The article link is below, but you may need to be registered at the site
>to reach it. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/09/opinion/09goldberg.html
>
>Daren Perrero
>The opinions expressed are mine, all mine....
>I'm with the government, I'm here to help you.
>Daren.Perrero(a)Illinois.gov

[edit]