[ RadSafe ] Radiation Sensors to Scan U.S. Air Cargo

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Thu Sep 11 20:25:09 CDT 2008

Interestingly, the LA Times if finally coming around.  Here's an  excerpt
from one of today's editorials ("Adjusting to 9/11"):

"The consequences of our war footing [i.e., characterizing our fight  against
terrorists as a "war"] are not only restrictions on our freedom and  privacy
that would never be tolerated under ordinary circumstances, but the
expenditure of billions of dollars on measures that may not be justified. As  just one
example, is the degree of danger posed by the theoretical possibility  that
terrorists might put a "dirty bomb" in a shipping container really great  enough
to justify the amount we're spending to prevent it from happening?"

Finally, someone's paying attention to the cost-benefit ratio.   The effort
to screen every container for RAM reminds me of the whole  "the Large Hadron
Collider will suck us all into a black hole" nonsense.   Everything has risk.
We need to evaluate it intelligently.

Barbara

In a message dated 9/11/2008 12:15:51 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,