[ RadSafe ] Radiation Sensors to Scan U.S. Air Cargo

Jim Hardeman Jim.Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Fri Sep 12 10:16:36 CDT 2008

Barbara --

I remember attending a session at an ANS meeting in San Diego several
years ago (i.e. before DNDO was spun up) where a DOE official from their
threat reduction office (I can't remember the official name of the
office at the moment) indicated that the official posture of the US
gov't towards improvised nuclear devices / nuclear weapons was
"prevention" -- but that the official posture towards radiological
dispersal devices was "recovery" -- not that, in my opinion, that
posture ever translated into actual funding to facilitate recovery.

If you make the presumption that the monitoring is primarily designed
to prevent the detonation of an IND on US soil, the cost-benefit ratio
looks a little better. I agree that with the possible exception of an
extraordinarily large RDD delivered to a carefully selected target -- if
you're only considering RDDs in your cost-benefit ratio, the math
doesn't come out all that well.

My $0.025 worth (inflated in accordance with rising fossil fuel
prices)

Jim

>>> <BLHamrick at aol.com> 9/11/2008 21:25 >>>
Interestingly, the LA Times if finally coming around.  Here's an
excerpt
from one of today's editorials ("Adjusting to 9/11"):

"The consequences of our war footing [i.e., characterizing our fight
against
terrorists as a "war"] are not only restrictions on our freedom and
privacy
that would never be tolerated under ordinary circumstances, but the
expenditure of billions of dollars on measures that may not be
justified. As  just one
example, is the degree of danger posed by the theoretical possibility
that
terrorists might put a "dirty bomb" in a shipping container really
great  enough
to justify the amount we're spending to prevent it from happening?"

Finally, someone's paying attention to the cost-benefit ratio.   The
effort
to screen every container for RAM reminds me of the whole  "the Large
Hadron
Collider will suck us all into a black hole" nonsense.   Everything has
risk.
We need to evaluate it intelligently.

Barbara

In a message dated 9/11/2008 12:15:51 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,