[ RadSafe ] Radioactive Waste Rooms

Bourquin, Marty Marty.Bourquin at grace.com
Mon Sep 22 15:09:55 CDT 2008

My first question would be when was the analysis of the filters
conducted?  Was it done immediately after operations (use of the fume
hood, compacting of waste etc) were conducted or was it done after the
radioisotopes had time to decay off?
I would also look at the risk/reward levels.  Since you are in very
highly populated and expensive area - how would the cost of a single
lawsuit (regardless of whether or not it was justified) balance against
the cost to install the system?  I'm not advocating one way or the other
just tossing out some talking points.

I would do the sampling first then use the data to guide my decision.  I
would also think that your regulators would want to see ongoing sampling
data to show you are meeting their limits if you are not using any
filtration equipment.( or even if you are).

Martin W. Bourquin
Manager - EHS
Radiation Safety Officer
W.R. Grace & Co