[ RadSafe ] Fwd: Student wants help

georgestanford1 at comcast.net georgestanford1 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 29 22:52:55 CDT 2008

To: Radiation Safety Mailing List


	I have received the request below from a student in Saudi 
Arabia whose masters thesis involves measuring Cs-137 in soil 
samples.  I am not competent to offer him advice.  Can anyone 
out there help him?


	-- George Stanford


From: Saleh Al-Aswad <salaswad at kacst.edu.sa>
To: <gstanford at aya.yale.edu>
Subject: need help
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 04:48:40 +0300=

Subject :  Enquiry and quotation for a multinuclide gamma calibration standard for measurement of gamma radionuclides in the air filters. 
  I would like to inform you that ,   we are using paper filters for collection of dust particles from air. Specification of the filter is: (605480  FILTERPADS 285x230 MM (+/- 1 MM) PADS A500 GH, Made in Sweden). After collection of dust particles the filter along with the dust particles will be put to pressure using a pressure machine to make  circular pellets of sizes 2 inches in diameter and about 0.7- 1.0 cm in thickness. These pellets will be placed over the HPGe detector to measure the gamma emitting nuclides. My query is which one of the mixed gamma sources will be suitable to use as standard source for the above measurement?   
I should appreciate it very much if you would kindly give me necessary advice on the measurement of gamma nuclides in the air filters and send a quotation of the standard mixed gamma source of the appropriate size and thickness that would be suitable for measurement of air filters as mentioned above. 
  I am waiting your responce  at the earliest possible opportunity 
Looking forward to your kind reply. 
With regards. 
Thanking you. 
Eng. Saleh AL-Aswad   
Atomic Energy Research Institute 
King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, 
Riyadh-11442, P.O. Box. 6086 
        Saudi Arabia

More information about the RadSafe mailing list