[ RadSafe ] Uranium in the hair of autistic children URGENT

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Mon Apr 6 20:19:45 CDT 2009

April 6

         At this link <http://aut.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/9/3/290>
I located this abstract with its citation, as follows:

Autism, Vol. 9, No. 3, 290-298 (2005)

Toxic trace elements in the hair of children with autism

Abdullahi Fido
Kuwait University, Kuwait, fido at HSC.EDU.KW
Samira Al-Saad
Kuwait Autism Center, Kuwait

Excess or deficiency of natural trace elements has been implicated in the
etiology of autism. This study explores whether concentration levels of
toxic metals in the hair of children with autism significantly differ from
those of age- and sex-matched healthy controls. In-hair concentration
levels of antimony, uranium, arsenic, beryllium, mercury, cadmium, lead and
aluminum from 40 boys with autism and 40 healthy boys were determined by
Perkin-Elmer mass spectrometry. The children with autism had significantly
(p < 0.001) higher in-hair concentration levels of lead, mercury and
uranium. There was no significant difference between the two groups in the
other five toxic elements. The ratio between nutritional elements and toxic
metals among children with autism was within the normal range. The possible
sources of the toxic metals are discussed. Such testing is informative but
at present the practical implications in terms of diagnosis and clinical
management are limited.

END of Abstract.

         For a laugh, go to this link and read the histrionics about
(primarily) mothers with U in their hair, who have children with U in their
hair.  The link covers the period from June 2003 to Oct.
2005.  <http://www.mothering.com/discussions/archive/index.php/t-70114.html>

Steven Dapra