[ RadSafe ] News Report

blhamrick at aol.com blhamrick at aol.com
Tue Apr 14 19:38:26 CDT 2009

And, I won't comment about the plutonium at all, but would like to point out that "250 times...background" is a meaningless and unnoteworthy measurement.? Landfills across the country find iodine patient waste at 250 times background all the time.? In a typical area of California that's only about 2.5 mR/hr, and easy to exceed if you're measuring a nuclear medicine patient's waste at near contact.

Barbara L. Hamrick

P.S.? To Phil Egidi - I am still here, and I wanted to try to find the information I had on uranium in hair analyses, but alas, that was almost 10 years ago, and I haven't been able to dig up the report I made at one of the CRCPD meetings.? Suffice it to say, the contacts I had with the laboratories were not confidence-inducing.? They had poor statistics (and, they originally claimed to have analyzed "thousands" of samples, but when I got the data, it was actually about 220 nationwide, with most coming from the two coasts, and a smattering from the middle of the country).? They had?no?data on possible exposure, so nothing to translate from hair uptake to potential past intake.? In short, the reported uranium in hair was a number, without any meaningful implications.