[ RadSafe ] News Report Are there any publications on enhancement of uranium content in water due to run off from farms where phosphatic fertilizers are used

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 14 23:28:28 CDT 2009

Dear Dr. Barbara Hamrick,

The foot note attached to your message drew my attention. Hence  this response. You may recall that I requested the list for information on uranium in hair. Many responded. Actual data were precious little. My attempt was to get the trend, if any, leading to greater concentration in hair, if uranium concentration in water is high. I got some valuable information from Finland where over 100 microgram of uranium per litre of drinking water is not uncommon.

I have six publications on uranium in water in various parts of India. Maximum concentration was 50 microgram per litre. I have also additionally data from eight sites where Indian nuclear power stations are operating. None of the values were any thing remarkable

I have a pointed query. Is there any measurement indicating enhanced uranium concentration  in water due to run off from agricultural fields and farms where phosphatic fertilizers are used? I recall Merril Eisenbud referring to a public outcry in California about high uranium concentration in peaches. Public attributed the presence of uranium  to a uranium enrichment plant as the peaches had higher concentration of fluorine as well. Later a lawyer  found out that peaches in farms where phosphatic fertilizers were used had much higher concentration of uranium than those grown in uncultivated farms.

Regards