[ RadSafe ] News Report

Brian Rees brees at lanl.gov
Wed Apr 15 06:29:28 CDT 2009

Barbara,

I don't quite agree that "250 times...background" is a meaningless
and un noteworthy measurement.  At least this puts the event in some
sort of context.  How many times do we see "high radiation"
reported?  That gives us even less information, since many reporters
seem to think that anything above background is "high".  Since
there's no distance mentioned there's no way to really estimate
what's going on here, but at least we have a starting point.

Any time "we" talk to a reporter and give a level, they invariably
ask for some sort of framework to understand (and relate to) that
level.  It's that level that makes it to the final copy, since most
of the public doesn't understand what a millirem is or means.   Even
talking to lay people I find it useful to discuss background, or the
radiation level at 35,000' since they know that that level isn't
harmful.  I do find that emphasizing that radiation is not a man-made
phenomena, and that radiation exposure is part of our natural
existence helps people.

Yeah, I'd LIKE to see "x mr/hr 30 cm from the source, measured with a
"brand x model xyz ion chamber, closed window"  but that's a lot to ask for...

I suppose we could ask that the reporter give the radiation level in
mr/hr along with the comparison to a known level, but some may see
that as interfering with their writing. But we should try.

Brian Rees
(my opinion only)