[ RadSafe ] Questions about radon

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed Apr 22 19:34:11 CDT 2009

April 22

         Is anything true in this quote?

         "The "action level" recommended by the Environmental Protection
Agency for radon in the air is 4 picocuries/liter of air. It is difficult
to convert air concentrations to actual exposures in rems or sieverts, but
estimates are in the range of 4 to 14 rem per year at that concentration.
That makes it greater that all the other routine environmental exposures
combined."

         Okay, I know the first sentence is true.  Is it difficult to
convert air concentrations to exposure in rems?  Does 4 pC/l equal 4 to 14
rem per year?

         I got the quote from this website
<http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/radon.html>.  Scroll
down to the "Radon compared to other radiation sources" sub-heading.  Any
comments on the rest of the site?

Steven Dapra