[ RadSafe ] Removing 14C contaminated biowaste from a BSL-3 Facility

Anthony Santoro santora at mail.rockefeller.edu
Tue Aug 4 11:02:55 CDT 2009

Dear Radsafe members,

I am looking for information on how others process BSL-3 solid waste
(gloves, paper towels, pipettes, etc.) that is contaminated with
Mycobacterium tuberculosis and a long lived isotope such as 14C or 3H.
Normally, TB waste is autoclaved prior to removal from the BSL-3 facility
but I am concerned that autoclaving mixed waste will result in radioactive
contamination of the autoclave.

With short lived isotopes, we simply allow the radioactive material to decay
in the BSL-3 and then proceed with autoclaving.  With long lived isotope/TB
waste I am at a loss as to how to process the waste for safe removal from
the BSL-3 and ultimate disposal as LLRW.   Any thoughts or insights would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Anthony Santoro

Radiation Safety Officer

Chemical Waste Manager

Laboratory Safety & Environmental Health

The Rockefeller University

1230 York Avenue

New York, NY 10065

1-212-327-8226