[ RadSafe ] Can a Victoreen Model 758 Alpha CAM reset automatically from alarm mode?

R Wayne Kanady R.Kanady at inl.gov
Fri Aug 21 09:38:10 CDT 2009

We have Victoreen 758 Alpha CAMs that were installed in the early 1990's.
To the best of our knowledge (operational experience) and according to the
vendor manual it requires that you acknowledge the alarm, then complete a
filter change function command, to have the CAM reset. We had a very recent
circumstance where it is believed that a 758 CAM reset itself (all lights
and the sonic sounder quit) from alarm mode to a normal operating
condition, and shortly thereafter returned to the alarm mode (less than 45
minutes).  We believe we have never experienced this before.

Does anyone have experience these CAMs and with this having happened at
their facility? Under what conditions?  Or never having happened either
would help?  Was it determined to be how the electronic functions were set
up?

This CAM was experiencing radon build-up early in the morning that
"appeared to be barely over the concentration alarm set point".

Wayne Kanady
Radiological Engineer
Idaho National Laboratory
208-533-7643