[ RadSafe ] Government eyes Supertanker for dirty duty

Fri Aug 21 11:06:59 CDT 2009

At the most likely end of the spectrum of possible dirty bomb events, I
would place a crude explosive with some medical or consumer-available
rad material, with the goal being to create panic far in excess of what
the explosive itself would cause.  The chances that aerial bombardment
with gel or foam would help is very small.

I am not sure I believe in a sophisticated dirty bomb in which its
lethality is enhanced by adding radioactive material (beyond that
material causing first responders and policy makers to make ill-advised
and misinformed decisions, which likely would cause extra casualties).
The fact of the matter is that the better the explosion is at dispersing
the radioactive material, the lower the concentrations of said material,
and the lower the dose rate.

A nuclear weapon is a different story.  The source term is so much
higher, at least initially, so you can get dangerously high dose rates
over a large area, and the explosion is hot enough to loft fallout high
enough to go a long way.  But even in this case, is a tanker of gel 12+
hours after the event going to do anything useful?  I am doubtful.

This program will cost at least a billion dollars, and have, in my
opinion, very limited value.  A better use of that money would be to
develop GOOD educational material on radiation issues and teach it in
school.  A billion dollars could produce a lot of informed citizens.