[ RadSafe ] Global Warming

George Stanford gstanford at aya.yale.edu
Sun Dec 6 22:03:26 CST 2009

Jess:

      I too read the petition (<www.petitionproject.org >), and did
not feel I had the competence to evaluate it.  And like your
Ph.D.  friends, 90% of mine would not sign it either.  But there's
another side to that coin: probably 90%  of my Ph.D. friends would
not sign a statement supporting AGW either -- in fact, most of them
(not all) are highly dubious of the AGW position.

      The petition, of course, is not an attempt to settle a
scientific matter by straw poll.  It's an attempt to show that the
claims of a scientific consensus are overblown -- and I would say it
has succeeded.  How far would a counter-petition in support of AGW
get, to show that there is indeed an overwhelming consensus?  Since
nobody is circulating one, to my knowledge, we don't know.  But I do
know that there is no such consensus in  my limited circle.

      Best,

      --  George