[ RadSafe ] Re: Global Warming Fuel cycling is it expensive?

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 01:25:59 CST 2009

Dear Dr Raabe,

I understand that some MIT scholars conclude that fuel cycling is expensive.

Have we to do fuel cycling later? What is your view? The economics of nuclear power seems to be dicy. In India power tariff is currently not left to market forces. The price is always an administered one under the relevant legislation. In that context, nuclear power tariff is comaparable to power from coal fired stations. Hydropower is the cheapest. Power from Units 1 & 2 of the Tarapur Atomic Power Station (1969 wintage)  is sold at a price comparable to hydro, at around 94 paise per kwh (1Re= 100 paise; One US$~Rs 46)

regards
Parthasarathy