[ RadSafe ] Climategate and LNT

Kai Kaletsch eic at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 4 09:26:27 CST 2009

Friends,

I think what this issue is making obvious is that politics and science are
not a natural mix. Tactics that are absolutely necessary to 'win' in
politics (such as trying to control the information and the message) are
absolutely unacceptable in science, where it is not about 'winning'.

Health Physics also has more political implications than some other
scientific disciplines. I hope we learn something from this. On the LNT
debate, we need to do a much better job of differentiating between what the
science sais and what we think the policy implications should be. On the
epidemiology side, I think we could improve transparency by making rawer
data available and thus reducing the perception that the authors are playing
games with adjustments and binning.

Cheers,
Kai

Kai Kaletsch