[ RadSafe ] Global Warming

Peter Bossew Peter.Bossew at reflex.at
Wed Dec 9 19:05:05 CST 2009

Mike,

you are of course right that compared to medium lived radionuclides (like
137Cs, 90Sr etc.; the short lived ones don't make it into a repository
because of long intermediate storage times, 30 years or more for
reprocessing waste), the long-lived ones are trivial, in terms of
activity. If I remember well the activity of spent fuel (incl. actinides)
drops below the activity of the same amount of natural U within less than
10.000 years. For the fission products only, this is within a couple of
100 years.

My purpose was not to blow up the picture of some devilish spectre looming
for millions of years. Nuclear waste is unpleasant, but similar to many
other nasty industrial wastes.

Still, consider the following. In particular I and Tc are relatively
mobile, much more than Cs and very much more than U, which makes the
initial activity with which you compare it. This means that the glass
blocks (or whatever matrix is used) should be intact after a couple of
hundred years during which they have been under heavy attack by the decay
of the medium lived radionuclides. So even if the activities of 129I and
99Tc are not higher than the one of the same amout of U, they present a
greater hazard, due to their environmental mobility.

Peter