[ RadSafe ] Global Warming

Wed Dec 9 16:37:32 CST 2009

Hi, Peter.

First, thank you for presenting me with a reason to look at this subject
again.  It has been a while since I paid more than passing attention to
fission fragments, and it is an interesting topic, core to some of the
worst (from a technical aspect, anyway) of the arguments surrounding
nuclear power.

>small ?
>99Tc: 6.05% thermal 235U fission yield
>135Cs: 6.33%
>129I: 0.66% only
>93Zr: 6.30%

OK, so about 1/5th.  Depends, I guess, on your definition of "small".
On the other hand, if you look at activity when the fuel comes out of
the reactor, the long lived fission products (LLFP) are by anyone's
definition a small fraction of the total.  As an example, 135Cs and
137Cs both account for about 6.3% of the atoms in the fission fragment
inventory.  Because of the difference in their half lives, however, in
fresh spent fuel 137Cs produces about 76,000 times as much radiation as
the 135Cs in the fuel.  The 137Cs decay is also about 4 times as
energetic.

I might concede "small" and go up to "modest" on the % of atoms in fresh
spent fuel that are LLFP.  On the other hand, I would revise the % of
activity from "small" to "vanishingly small" or "trivial" in comparison
the short half life fission products.

I am now uncertain when the total activity of the spent fuel becomes
less than the total activity of the fuel before going into the reactor,
but I am pretty confident of two things: (1) It is a long time; long
enough that I won't be personally concerned, and (2) in a much shorter
time frame, a couple of hundred years or so, the activity of the fuel
will have decreased to the point where the greatest danger is from one
of our less sophisticated descendants taking a length of fuel rod and
beating someone over the head with it.

As for transmutation of LLFP, I've seen some articles speculating on it,
but I frankly don't see the need.  If it happens when spent fuel is put
in a fast flux reactor to burn more of the fissile material, cool, but I
just don't see that in and of itself transmutation (with any foreseeable
tech) is worth the effort.

Thanks again for pointing my attention this way.