[ RadSafe ] [RadSafe] A Retraction

George Stanford gstanford at aya.yale.edu
Fri Dec 11 23:41:43 CST 2009

All:

      The other day (December 9) I sent an email in which I tried to
dramatize the ease of disposing of long-lived fission products from
spent fuel by suggesting that they could be mixed with coal ash
without increasing the ash's activity very much. (That was part of
the now-discontinued "Global Warming" thread.)

      After prompts from Hal Wood and Mike Brennan, I have gone over
my calculations, and am now convinced that I made several errors -- I
used too high a value for the activity in typical coal ash (should be
10 - 30 ppm of U, not 170 ppm), and seriously underestimated the
relative activity of the 200-odd pounds of long-lived fission
products that come from creating 1 GWe-yr of nuclear electricity.

      Please disregard that message.

     The long-lived radioactivity from a nuclear plant is something
like 25 times that from a coal plant (I now think).

      Sorry.

      -- George