[ RadSafe ] Re: Studies Quantify Cancer Risks From CT Scans

Clayton J Bradt cjb01 at health.state.ny.us
Wed Dec 16 08:54:53 CST 2009

I agree fully with Mike. I would further add that it is one thing to use
LNT to extrapolate risk coefficients to dose ranges below the range of
observed effects as a purely academic exercise.  It is quite another to use
these extrapolated risk estimates to publish the number of additional
deaths expected from a given population dose. The latter is both
irresponsible and unprofessional.  Such projections are based upon a chain
of assumptions linking empirical data (e.g the Life Span Study)to future
events, which are themselves probably unobservable (e.g. additional cancer
deaths). Each individual assumption may in itself be reasonable, but when
linked together they cannot support their own weight, let alone support the
burden of public health policy decisions. Each assumption in the chain
amounts to another degree of separation between reality and policy.

Clayton J. Bradt
Principal Radiophysicist
NYS Dept. of Health