[ RadSafe ] Re: Suitable Gross alpha-beta counting system

welch at jlab.org welch at jlab.org
Sun Feb 22 21:20:26 CST 2009

 Falah,

Not to argue with Bob's response, but to me a Liquid scintillation counter
seems to be overkill if the only thing you're going to do with it is leak
check guages, unless perhaps you operate a lab in which you are going to
be leak checking many of these devices for many customers.

The nice thing about leak testing (at least in the U.S.) is that the
detection limits required are not too difficult to meet, even with
relatively modest equipment, unless as Bob mentioned you are dealing with
some isotopes that only emit conversion electrons.  But, again, I assume
if you're dealing with density guages, the nuclides will emit
easy-to-detect radiations.

LSC are generally not cheap, and you must care for them routinely, keep a
supply of cocktail, deal with the waste, etc., etc.

My recommendation (again, assuming you are only doing occasional testing
on a reasonably small number of sources with beta, gamma and alpha
emissions) would be to look for a simple, combination counter, perhaps one
of the dual-phosphor systems, using an organic plastic scintillator with
alpha sensitive ZnS layer.  These are sensitive to beta-gamma and alpha.
They are generally relatively small, lightweight, sometimes portable units
that could be stuck in a closet when not needed.  Any instrument used for
this purpose (including LSC) will need to be calibrated to respond in a
known way to the emissions of interest, and you will need to be careful
about the calibration/efficiency testing to make sure you are using
appropriate standards for this purpose.  For these wipe counters, the
calibration sources are reasonably inexpensive.

All systems are not the same.  Check out the detector configurations and
sensitivities.  Some use a very thin plastic disc, which reduces gamma
sensitivity.  But in most cases, your gamma-emitting nuclides will be beta
emitters too - you should make sure you know what you're trying to detect.

Ludlum, Protean and Thermo/Fisher (and probably others) make dual phosphor
counters.

There are of course other approaches, but you have to consider all the
factors you are dealing with.

Regards,
Keith Welch