[ RadSafe ] Re: Fallout "preserved" in concrete

Arvic Harms Arvic.Harms at npl.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 04:06:20 CST 2009

Dear all,

Neutron-irradiated concrete at 10-20 years post shutdown may contain:

H-3, C-14, Cl-36, Ca-41, Fe-55, Co-60, Ni-63, Ba-133, Eu-152 and Eu-154 (and natural occuring radionuclides). H-3 and Eu-152 will be the dominating activities.

More information on an NPL intercomparison we organised on neutron-activated concrete powder samples can be found on  http://www.npl.co.uk/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.3031 (under "concrete results").

Kind regards,

Arvic Harms
National Physical Laboratory
UK

privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only.
If you are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or
disclose such information.

NPL Management Ltd cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any
attachments are free from viruses.

NPL Management Ltd. Registered in England and Wales. No: 2937881
Registered Office: Serco House, 16 Bartley Wood Business Park,
                   Hook, Hampshire, United Kingdom  RG27 9UY