[ RadSafe ] Re: Fallout "preserved" in concrete

Mon Feb 23 12:17:44 CST 2009

Benchmarking fallout could be very difficult for a couple of reasons.

The first is that the activity of fallout changes substantially, and in
a complex way.  A thumb rule that I learned back when I was in the bomb
biz is that the half-life of fallout is about equal to the time since
the explosion.  This is annoying to calculate for one source; it is
REALLY annoying if you are talking about dozens of sources spread out
over a decade or two.

The second is that fallout is really non-homogeneous geographically,
even from the same event and even in small areas.  A presentation I
attended about Chernobyl said that 100 km downwind deposited activity
varied by 400% between a number of samples taken within a 10 m square.
That starts to even out as the short half-life isotopes decay out of the
picture, but then the differences increase again as biological and
p-chem factors start differentially concentrating different isotopes.

Tritium has long been a mystery to me, as it keeps showing up in
unlikely places.  I am not convinced that most of it isn't an artifact
of counting, even though people whose lab coats I am barely fit to hold
tell me it isn't.  It is on my list of questions to ask St. Peter in the
post exercise critique session.