[ RadSafe ] Re: Fallout "preserved" in concrete

Wed Feb 25 10:55:24 CST 2009

This is well outside of my area of expertise, but would it be possible
to break these samples all the way down and do mass spec on them?  If
you get something with an atomic weight of 3, then you know you have
tritium.  If you don't get any, then the false positive comes to the
fore.

Also, is the supposed tritium causing some problem with disposal?
Because it is really, really difficult to develop viable exposure
pathways.  In fact, at one time I proposed that some water contaminated
with tritium at the hundreds of thousands or pCi/l be disposed of by
making concrete with it, and using the concrete in highway barriers and
bridge abutments.  The scenario put forward as to why this was not
acceptable was, "What if a child chips pieces of concrete off and eats
them?"  I contended that if that was happening there were parenting
issues that posed greater risk than tritium, and perhaps they shouldn't
let their children play on the freeway and eat rocks.

They don't send me to public meetings so much anymore.