[ RadSafe ] [RADSAFE] gamma modeling from large sources

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Fri Jan 2 17:24:28 CST 2009

Nick,

I can almost recreate this formula. The flux from a a circle on a disk
source at a point x on the source axis is given by multiplying the area of
the ring by the flux per unit area. and dividing by r^2. In angular
coordinates this is

2*pi*flux*sin(theta)/cos(theta)^2

this integrates to 2*pi*flux/cos(theta)

cos(theta) is 1 at a radius of 0

cos(theta) is x/sqrt(x^2+r^2)

so evaluating from 0 to the radius r of the source you get

2*pi*flux( x/x - x/sqrt(x^2 + r^2))

or

2*pi*flux(1 - x/sqrt(x^2 +r^2))

note that r^2 is area/pi

note also that the 2*pi*flux divides out when evaluating for x= 0 relative
to some positive value of x

So the main difference is the substituion of HxW/A for r^2

Dale