[ RadSafe ] [RADSAFE] gamma modeling from large sources

Fri Jan 2 18:28:00 CST 2009

Some time ago I was working on trying to model exposure from a complex
source (the pipes and tanks of a waste water treatment plant).  After a
fair amount of work I concluded that sometimes there is nothing useful
that can be done with modeling, and if you really want to know the
answer you have to measure it, and if you want to know the dose that
people who are moving around the source are getting, you have to do a
"tag and release" program.  If the situation is complex enough, all that
modeling will do is give you greater confidence in a wrong answer.

There are a couple of sayings I've run across that I think pertain:

* All models are wrong, and some are useful.

* I'd rather be right in a broad range than wrong with a precise number.

* If it was easy to figure out, the Business Administration majors would
do it.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Dale Boyce
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 3:24 PM
To: Nick Tsurikov; radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] [RADSAFE] gamma modeling from large sources

Nick,

I can almost recreate this formula. The flux from a a circle on a disk
source at a point x on the source axis is given by multiplying the area
of the ring by the flux per unit area. and dividing by r^2. In angular
coordinates this is

2*pi*flux*sin(theta)/cos(theta)^2

this integrates to 2*pi*flux/cos(theta)

cos(theta) is 1 at a radius of 0

cos(theta) is x/sqrt(x^2+r^2)

so evaluating from 0 to the radius r of the source you get

2*pi*flux( x/x - x/sqrt(x^2 + r^2))

or

2*pi*flux(1 - x/sqrt(x^2 +r^2))

note that r^2 is area/pi

note also that the 2*pi*flux divides out when evaluating for x= 0
relative to some positive value of x

So the main difference is the substituion of HxW/A for r^2

Dale