[ RadSafe ] Deadly embrace: NRC policy can expose children to radioactivity, by retired........

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sat Jan 3 18:07:12 CST 2009

Jan. 3

         The PDF link posted by Celia is an article of approximately 600
words written by Peter Crane, a retired NRC counsel.  It was published in
the New Hampshire Sentinel Source, the online edition of the Keene (NH)
Sentinel.

         Crane claims that the NRC instituted a "deregulation" of I-131,
and did so "at the behest of providers and insurers, eager to cut costs and
increase profits."  (Presumably Crane means health care providers.)  He
says that (unspecified)  "international safety standards" call for
hospitalizing patients given more than 30 millicuries of I-131, but that in
the US, patients are being sent home with "as much as 400 millicuries of
I-131 in their systems."

         Let us assume that a patient is sent home with 400 millicuries,
and that a family member is within 10 feet of this patient at all
times.  In 24 hours what will the exposure be to that family member?

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com