[ RadSafe ] Deadly embrace: NRC policy can expose childrento radioactivit...

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Mon Jan 5 20:16:48 CST 2009

If you look at NUREG 1556, Vol. 9, Rev. 2, Appendix U, they have a table  for
release of patients, which roughly correlates a release at 33 mCi with 7
mrem per hour at a meter, so let's just say 330 mCi and 70 mrem per hour at a
meter, then approximate with 7 - 8 mrem per hour at 10 feet, but there's some
internal dose to account for as well.  I'm not sure that was factored into  the
NUREG's table to basically come up with a residual activity in the body, of
which some fraction of the theoretical dose (500 mrem) to friends and  family
(in some idealized situation) is from internal dose.

In any case, the real dose to family members will vary considerably,
depending on the patient's excretion of the dose, and dependent upon the  patient's
willingness and ability to conform to the doctor's  instructions.

No judgement here.  Just wanted to get you in the ballpark on the dose  issue.

Barbara

In a message dated 1/5/2009 5:53:48 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,  sjd at swcp.com