[ RadSafe ] Deadly embrace: NRC policy can exposechildrento radioactivity, by retired........

Conklin, Al (DOH) Al.Conklin at DOH.WA.GOV
Tue Jan 6 12:04:32 CST 2009

Concerning patients following instructions, they are also told to avoid
public transit for a period of time, but our law enforcement officers
who carry the personal radiation detectors (PRDs)in Washington State
routinely get hits on our ferries and around other public
transportation. The first few times it happened, they assumed these
folks might be terrorists, and responded accordingly before we got them
to calm down the responses.

Al Conklin
Lead Trainer and Health Physicist
Radiological Emergency Preparedness Section
Office of Radiation Protection
Department of Health
office: 360-236-3261
cell: 360-239-1237

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Philip Egidi
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 9:49 AM
To: Daren Perrero; radsafe at radlab.nl; Steven Dapra
Subject: RE: [ RadSafe ] Deadly embrace: NRC policy can exposechildrento
radioactivity, by retired........

I just wish the patients would follow the instructions when they are
released from the hospital such that us State folks don't have to spend
so much time at the landfill screening garbage at a putrescent landfill
in the middle of July dressed out in Tyveks looking for the offending
diaper or paper towel or whatever causes the gate alarm to go off. It
gives me pause to wonder if the patients are following other
instructions about limiting contact with others, especially children.
Our experience is that some of these people are incontinent, not of
sound mind, do not follow directions, and throw their diapers in the
trash rather than decay in storage. We have also seen where the patient
passed away soon after the treatment, and the personal belongings that
were thrown out tripped the alarms at the landfill.

I also agree that if old people are swapping spit with little people
there are bigger issues, but they do share living space, come in close
contact, and if they sweat and touch things, leave their mark around the
house for quite some time. Scenarios and pathways can be atypical and I
am not convinced that there is not a health issue in some situations. If
a couple has intimate relations after a treatment, would the pathway be
injection??

Releasing the patients ASAP is in no small part a financial decision,
and is reflected in many situations, such as minor and not so minor
surgery - they kicked me out of the hospital less than 4 hours after
double hernia surgery.

With respect to voiding of the I-131 in the first day, there were so
many I-131 treatments in Grand Junction, CO that for a while the sludge
from the wastewater treatment plant containing I-131 was tripping the
alarms at the landfill. The landfill does not play nice with others and
would not allow burial in the back 40 of the offending article(s) or
sludge. It takes a couple days for the radioactivity to make it through
the sewer system and into the plant, where residence time varies,
nonetheless the alarms were going off when the sludge was hauled to the
landfill. We actually set up an informal system where the hospital
informed the State and the wastewater treatment plant when they
performed an ablation. That gave the facility a couple of days to
monitor. Things have dropped off enough now that the inventory in the
sewers is reduced and sludge does not trip the alarm. It can also be
noted that the wastewater treatment plant and the landfill are both
owned by the County, nonetheless, the landfill would not accept the
sludge until it had decayed below the alarm limit (usually 2 days
later).

I recently had a Cardiolite diagnostic treadmill test, and I was lit up
enough (Tc-99m) to peg my Model 19 (5 mR/h) for a couple days. My family
keeps me at least at arms length anyway, so it was no big deal. Since
I-131 is around longer, there is a greater chance for contamination
leading to inadvertent intake and uptake.
Thank you for letting me rant.
Phil Egidi
CDPHE

>>> On 1/6/2009 at 10:01 AM, in message
<730E743AFAA26146A2F74AC52A2BEAEA01E36A2C at BEAR.iema.state.il.us>,
"Perrero, Daren" <Daren.Perrero at illinois.gov> wrote:
If we are assuming a point source exposure to 400 mCi of I-131 than the
gamma constant and distance formula would tell us that the dose at 10
feet would go as follows:

Gamma Constant = 0.283 microR/h per microCi at 1 meter. For 400,000
microCi that comes to a dose rate of 113 milliR/h which then gives us
2,700 milliR for the 24 period at 1 meter (3.3 feet).

Unfortunately there are significant errors encountered by going with the
simplified assessment above.  Medical physicists will tell you that
treated patients are not point sources and that a treatment dosage of
400 milliCi does not equal a 400 milliCi source in the thyroid.  Thyroid
update is more likely to be between 10 percent and 35 percent (we're
talking about treating unhealthy thyroids after all) depending on the
disease being treated.  Also, occupancy factors vary widely but can
easily go from 1/8 to 1/3.  One quarter is used in most cases.
Biological excretion is a huge term reducing factor during the first 24
hours as well.  Many hospitals will ask the patient to 'hang around'
until the first urination when a great deal of the unincorporated source
term is 'disposed' in the very early phase (first 8 hrs).  The single
biggest source of exposure is sleeping with patient, so most precautions
are driven by reducing that factor to the maximum extent practicable. A
search for authors Jeffry Siegel and Mike Stabin will provide some well
documented analysis of the counter point to Peter Crane's argument if
you'd like to dive into the subject further.

Daren Perrero
The opinions expressed are mine, all mine....
I'm with the government, I'm here to help you.
Daren.Perrero(a)Illinois.gov