[ RadSafe ] Deadly embrace: NRC policy can exposechildrento radioactivity, by retired........

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Tue Jan 6 20:39:38 CST 2009

Patient compliance is all over the board. Sorry I don't have a reference,
but I think the study was done a Sunnybrook. LDR brachytherapy patient's
spouses were badged. The dosimetry results showed _NO_ correlation to the
size of the implant.

As I remember no spouses came close to exceeding the 500 mrem limit, but
many were very low. I do not remember if the implants were I-125 (60day) or
Pd-103 (17 day). Unfortunately, I know they were not Cs-131 (9.7 day)(I may
be biased). The shorter half-life makes compliance much easier on the
patients as the restrictions only need to be followed for a short time.

Dale